Monday, March 23, 2009

Prickly Huggies

I have a fondness for cacti and succulents. Unlike common garden plants, they have such rugged individuality, such a quality of homespun honesty. And their beauty can just astonish you. Despite their prickly exteriors, I find a lot of cacti very huggable, like little idiosyncratic teddy bears. Weird, huh?


And as for succulents, I find them totally adorable. Once when I had gone to Bangalore for a vacation, I brought back close to 100 different varieties of them. Of course, my gardener who didn't know them from asters managed to kill off all but 2 or three. The sheer variety of shapes and sizes is enough to astonish you.

This weekend I totally bored the husband by visiting a cacti and succulents exhibition at Dilli Haat. I would have bought some but the prices were extortionate - Rs. 500 per tiny pot, when I've bought similar ones for barely Rs. 10 a pop in Bangalore.


Here are some of them. What do you think?







Adenium Obesum


Euphorbia Milli ( Crown of Thorns)


Monstrose



No comments:

Post a Comment

Love it or hate it? Lemme know what you think